SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production Boats and the Limits
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Smack,

THe issue with all of this, I believe the meastro said it the other day. I believe he used his Islander 28 as an example. It was designed for coastal work. BUT, the overall design would allow one to sail anywhere in it! A laser on the other hand, obviously local. Even the Morris M series, while VERY WELL if not in the excellent build quality, is not rated by the european stds as being ocean going!

THere is not a right or wrong at the endof the day per say. Does it have the strength to sail thru a gail or stronger wind off shore? does it have tankage for your use? plus I am sure many more answers. I would not have an issue taking my 28' jeanneau off shore. it has made off shore passages! I would not be surprised of an I28 has not made an offshore passage or two or three.

Really, ANY boat on a good day could probably sail an ocean. bad day, probably up to the skipper more than anything. At the end, not really worth arguing over which is a better offshore boat. As said earlier by a few. Swan, Oyster etc very expensive, are still production boats! The only boats that are not production models, come as one off's, if more than 2 or 3 are planned, a mold is made per say, then it is a production boat! car! house! bycycle etc! I really doubt that ANY of us that use this forum are going to truely buy a from scrath, one off boat. At best, we may highly modify some things from a production boat, Morris comes to mind that will do this. The base boat from Morris, is prodiction oriented! pure plain and simple. Higher quality, build materials to a degree, but still a production boat!

Marty