SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Andy, the OP said they weren't really handy, that's why I suggested something like the C27. 20-30 years newer than the Irwin, there are lots of them out there, lots of information on them on the web, the factory still supplies all the original parts, there's an active owners group and third party vendors that specialize in these boats.

Taken together that smooths the path for a new sailor and makes life a little easier.
Good points Jim. For a new sailor limiting the number of issues that need fixing before he can enjoy sailing is a plus. I was thinking more about the OPs affection for the looks of the CD......some times older boats when well kept or recently refit can be as trouble free as newer ones with less care and attention.

Emcentar - your situation is similar to mine about 10 years ago. I hadn't sailed in 20 or more years, but found myself living in Key Largo and jonesing to get out on the water again. I ended up with a 25' fixer upper and enjoyed putzing around on it, but it didn't take long before the costs of fixing broken stuff and adding amenities that were missing put me at the point where I could have bought a turnkey boat the same size or bigger and spent more time actually sailing. If I were you I'd focus on getting a boat in as good shape as you can find.

I wish I had known about Sailnet and the great advice you can get here back then!
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook