SailNet Community - View Single Post - New CAL Owner
Thread: New CAL Owner
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
Re: New CAL Owner

Thanks for the reply. I read the article and found it enjoyable and informative.

I'm in the process of doing a huge variety of projects on my boat and am looking forward to splashing her in Lake Michigan within a month.

That will be after I finish replacing all the thru-hulls, seacocks and hoses, installing my head, doing a bit of wiring and a general cleanup. The Atomic Four was recently changed by the PO to one from 1975 and I'm also in the process of replacing all the cooling lines, water pump impeller, cleaning the thermostat and carb, etc.

Do you have conventional roller furling or do you have the older Hood Profurl system that uses the continuous line? I'm told that that system is problemmatic with trying to have the sail partially furled; it apparently unfurls by itself very easily.

Where is your holding tank located? Since my boat was built before they were required, I need to install one and am looking at options. I'm thinking of a vertical along the hull curvature outboard of where I will intall the head. At some point in the past, a PO pulled the head, capped the thru-hulls and went to a PortaPotty. I bought a new toilet to install and have it on my list of to-do's.

I've owned a variety of boats, but this is my first 30-footer. These older Cal's have a very good reputation for being roomy and solid!

Murph

S/V Amalia
Cal 30 - 1965
South Haven, MI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook