SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

One challenge with classified ads is that if you can see the ad, so can hundreds and thousands of other potential buyers.

The best way to gain control of the boat hunt is to be proactive instead of reactive: Place a "wanted " ad on craiglist with your needs and wants. Something like, "Wanted: Older 24-32' sailboat. Prefer wheel steering, diesel inboard, dinette layout, bimini, dodger, shoal draft. Cape Dory, Alberg, Pearson, Cherubini Hunter or similar. No fixer-uppers please. What have you got?" Do not include a price range.

You will get responses from people who hadn't thought of selling their boat, listings that had expired, and owners who hadn't listed their boats for sale yet. By being the shot-caller, you have more control over the price- they haven't set one yet, so the ball is in your court.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook