SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Dabnis, thanks for the info. I did not realize that salmon trollers “only” go 2-3 kts. That greatly increases the possibility that I could be over taking them and not the other way around. So, If I can spot gear and they are doing a slow speed, I, as a courteous sailor, will duck them by about fifty yards if I cannot cross ahead. With salmon stocks depleted along the California coast, my chances of encountering a commercial salmon fisherman is pretty slight – somewhere behind the fear of a whale collision. There are a lot of sport fishermen out there (ie. Duxbury reef), but they don’t have any “rights” over me when I’m under sail.

Slow, where do the albacore and tuna fishermen go to fish down in So Cal? I’ll be “cruising” down there next summer and Mexico the following year. And I know that there are large fleets of commercial fishermen all around down there. If their average trolling speeds are around 6 kts, then the chances of me encountering them is much greater. (Last time we sailed to Cabo, at times we were around 100 NM offshore until we got to Cedros Is.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook