SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Dabnis, thanks for the info. I did not realize that salmon trollers “only” go 2-3 kts. That greatly increases the possibility that I could be over taking them and not the other way around. So, If I can spot gear and they are doing a slow speed, I, as a courteous sailor, will duck them by about fifty yards if I cannot cross ahead. ...
I usually give them at least 100 yards. Fifty is probably fine, but better safe than sorry. When I'm sailing and I encounter a troller, I may well have "rights" but I figure that they're working and I'm just playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Slow, where do the albacore and tuna fishermen go to fish down in So Cal? I’ll be “cruising” down there next summer and Mexico the following year. And I know that there are large fleets of commercial fishermen all around down there. If their average trolling speeds are around 6 kts, then the chances of me encountering them is much greater. (Last time we sailed to Cabo, at times we were around 100 NM offshore until we got to Cedros Is.)
Since they follow the schools around it's hard to say. In general, they tend to stay well off-shore. However, there are times when the commercial fleet is active within just a few miles of the coast. This is true not just for Southern California, but all up and down the West Coast. If you are going to be anywhere near the coast in the summer you're likely to see some commercial boats.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook