SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Elan 400, the movie.

"I like the way she moves"...I really do with its very narrow entries and moderated beam, all brought back. The boat hull is a bit misleading, at least in 2D. Looking at the hull from above we would say: another downwind boat but the boat is not really that. Yes that transom will allow an easier downwind sailing but it will also allow a considerable heeling before the chine enters the water. This is a completely different hull than for instance a Pogo, a very interesting one and one that will have a good performance sailing upwind.

I like the way those two rudders and big D/B ratio hold the boat in a gust. Look at the movie (1.10) the boat heels with gusting, the guy does not correct and the boat continues straight as an arrow. In fact he over compensates after that.

For me the bigger and only big defect remains: They have now a 2 cabin version but instead of putting that galley with a good size for cruising and given it a good storage they have opted to make bigger the other side of the boat and make a king size head. Not much sense to me, the one on the three cabin is good enough....but the galley remains inadequate for extensive cruising in what regards space and storage, at least if we compare with the competition, I mean the Salona 41 and Dehler 41.

It is a pity because the interior is very nice, cozy and with good ideas in what regards space polyvalence.

Great movie:

Ausgewogen und rasant: Elan 400 - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

They have tested the boat. For the ones interested it will be on the next edition of Yacht magazine. For what I could understand they loved the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-02-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook