SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Not to sound like a lawyer, but the last phrase in the sentence would indicate the vessel is “engaged in fishing” given the descriptions Dabnis provided for the commercial trollers. The local sport fisherman (even with outriggers) isn’t “fishing”, but a commercial boat with a half dozen downriggers in work, is. You guys may feel free to cut off a commercial guy or run across his gear, but I will maneuver around them, and yes, I do a lot of ocean racing.

“…but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability.”
George - The trollers that I see do not exhibit the dayshapes because they know they are not "engaged in fishing". Paul's boat showed no day shapes.

I do not interfere with their work when I am at play. (Usually I am working too, but there is no dayshape or lights for an vessel engaged in instruction.)

They should be a dayshape and lights for a vessel under the control of someone unaware of ColRegs, perhaps a cone with the apex up.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook