SailNet Community - View Single Post - E-Mail while crusing
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road
Re: E-Mail while crusing

If you are coastal cruising I would invest in a good wifi radio like the Ubiquity Bullet, also a cell phone internet adapter would be useful. use the bullet when you can to save cell costs and the cell when you are out of range of a wifi signal. For anything beyound 15-20 miles offshore you have 2 choices, Satellite or SSB. Satellite you pay by the minute and it adds up fast I think I last saw 1.35 per min but it changes. It is not cheap I have heard some spend 300 a month for just a daily download. SSB is expensive to start but if you do a HAM license it is free for the service, without on sailmail it is 250 a year so worth getting the license. A basic SSB installation with used gear will run you about 1500. New closer to 4000. SSB has a learning curve but it is not rocket science and even a technically challenged old fart like me was able to do it. Personally I love the SSB as you can use it for tracking, email (mainly text) and weather so very useful. Also there is a community on the SSB nets of cruisers who share information and that is helpful as well. Another option is the Sat trackers like Spot and INreach. inreach is limited 2 way but not cheap either. I used it for a trip to Bermuda and figured the 1 month cost came to about 500, hardly worth it but if you are going full time and out there for more than a year your monthly cost would be closer to 50. I plan a long voyage in a couple of years so SSB is a good investment. If you are going out for a month or 2 renting a sat phone could be a good option. You have to weigh all the factors and costs and pick what is right for you.

KJ4WXF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook