SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whitby 42, Brewer 42, Brewer 12.8
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007

rleslie is on a distinguished road
I singlehanded our Brewer 42 Ketch (same bottom config. as the 12.8)for five days in Novenber from Belhaven, NC to Georgetown, SC. Four of those days were strictly motoring on the ICW and one was a good day of sailing. I docked each night and had no problem what so ever. The sailing was the easy part. Due to the ketch rigging, each sail is easily handled by one person. I can't think of the term right now, but when you turn the wheel....count to three before anything happens, but at an actual displacement of 16 tons, that is to be expected. She is a cruiser, not a racer.

She points about 50-55 deg. with the board up, but does have some weather helm. When under power, she only backs to port, but that can be managed by getting her moving aft and putting the trans. in neutral, at that point she is fairly responsive to starbord as well as port.

My wife and I sailed her from Panama City, Fl thru the Keys and back up to the Pamlico Sound last winter and never had an issue with docking once we learned her characteristics (we won't talk about the first few times while we were still getting a feel for how she reacts). I firmly believe it all what you get used to.

If you need any more specific info let me know. We are presently in ST Augustine, so if you are in the area feel free to contact us.

Roger
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook