SailNet Community - View Single Post - You are NOT "FISHING"
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
I would think a commercial vessel, pursuing its livelihood, with some degree of restricted movement, would/should have rights over a recreational vessel out for a fun day on the water.
In my experience the real professionals know exactly what the rules are and don't confuse their desires with legal reality.

One of my favorite stories:

I was running down the New Jersey coast at about the 70' line crossing the mouth of Delaware Bay heading for Cape Henlopen to anchor for some rest and to wait for the current. An ocean going tug with a long tow was heading in from offshore. We were clearly in potential conflict. I was still watching him and waiting for MARPA to give me CPA and TCPA when he called me (it was January so he probably figured I wasn't just some yahoo and likely had my radio on). He was extremely polite, made clear that I was stand on, and asked my intentions. Nice fellow. I told him he was working for a living and I was having a good time so if he would proceed at course and speed I would take his stern by a quarter mile or more. I fell off a bit and put two reefs in the main to slow down. We chatted off and on a bit for a while until it was time to shake out and harden up to clear the breakwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Where and how is “special anchorage” displayed on a chart?
Here is one: https://activecaptain.com/X.php?lat=...28214&t=n&z=14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Again, logic would dictate, unless a skipper decodes the Federal Register and knows exactly that he is in a “special anchorage” then he should be displaying the ball during the day and an anchor light at night.
Darn tooting. Lights and shapes are the rules. If you get hit and end up in court and DON'T have the required lights and shapes you will likely find partial fault laid on you. For example, the Annapolis Harbor anchorage (upstream of the Naval Anchorage) is not a Special Anchorage and you are supposed to show lights and shapes.

P.S. Jackdale is the sort of skipper I'd like to be in a crossing situation with. I like people that know and understand the rules and don't just shriek.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook