SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Compared to an automotive engine, it is much simpler. the intake and exhaust manifolds are simpler, there are no emission controls, no accessories mounted in the way (with the exception of the alternator,) no timing belt or chain to remove, so no cam timing issues upon reassembly, the head can be disassembled on the bench, rather than having to unplug the injectors and remove them in situ.

I have not torn the head off any car newer than 1988, but I have wrestled with everything from E-type engines to old Bentley lumps to Daimler's gorgeous little 2.5 litre hemi v-8 to more VW and Porsche aircooled engines than i can count. Based on that experience, dealing with rusted and busted old fasteners, I figured i would need 12 hours to R and R the head of my yanmar GM10, including new valves, new head gasket, new exhaust gasket, rebuilt injector. I had the head off and out in less than 1 hour, 2 hours on the bench, 2 hours to get it back together, requiring a total of two screwdrivers and 3 wrenches. Up until that point, I liked that little diesel. after that job, I loved the simplicity- diesel engines have only enough parts required to make it run, and they don't need much to run.
Thanks. That's kind of what I thought, just by eyeballing it and skimming my shop manual. It's probably a slightly bigger job on my 2gm20, but not much bigger. Of course, the odds of finding something else wrong as soon as the head is off are......well.....let's not think about that.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook