SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 36 – Help to find out if it is the right boat for me.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: MacGregor 36 – Help to find out if it is the right boat for me.

Sorry if I sounded snippy; I didn't mean it in a bad way. When I looked for my second boat, I decided that I wanted a wheel for steering. I want it because I have kids, and they have fun sitting next to me when we were out on our Catalina 25. But I kept whapping them with the tiller (clocked my then 3-year-old in the head once), and it stopped being fun for them. A wheel has a well-defined space that is easy for a kid to understand, and I don't have to worry about whapping them. Fingers caught in the wheel maybe, but not whapped in the head. Anyway...many people tried to talk me out of the wheel, told me I was stupid for wanting it on a 27-32' boat. And you know what? In an absolute sense, they are probably right; a boat this size is fine with a tiller, and you get more feel that way. But that's not what _I_ needed in a boat, and since I am the one buying it, I get to decide the priorities. Same goes with you and your boat - you have your mind made up, and that's fine! I appreciate that you heard me out, and you even provided rational responses as to why you thought a cat was important. In the end, it's up to you - it's your boat. I respectfully believe that a mono could meet your needs too, and may have some advantages over a cat, but you're down into the personal preference area, where there aren't any absolute right or wrong answers, only the ones that are right for you.

In the end, the one bit of advice I'll give is don't rush into the wrong boat for the right reasons. That is, if the Mac is in bad shape, don't just buy it so you have a boat. You'll regret it later, and it will be an albatross around your neck for a long time. By contrast, if the Mac is in great shape and a surveyor agrees, and if you really think that particular boat will meet your needs (as opposed to waiting for the next cat to come along), then go for it. We'll all be very happy for you!

I'm afraid I won't be much help beyond this point (not that I was all that much help to begin with)! Good luck, I hope you find the info you want. I look forward to seeing pictures of your new boat, and of your dives!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook