SailNet Community - View Single Post - NE Insurance Rates - Reasonable?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: NE Insurance Rates - Reasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post

Quote:
Is it so wrong to want to sail exotic and remote places to find peace and happiness? FFS im sorry im not waiting around twenty years to have the cash you type-minded people want me to have.
Nothing wrong with it...its just that you're being reckless/negligent when you go uninsured/underinsured. Just like when you dont carry health insurance and go to the ER for treatment...we all pay. Everyone takes risks in life, and if you go uninsured, just know what you're getting into beforehand. The question is are you wiling to live with the consequences...bankruptcy, loss of good name, lawsuits, ruined life/credit for 10 years if you were to cause a bad enough accident and be underinsured?
I think one thing that's being overlooked in this discussion, but is relevant given Harborless' plans...

An affordable plan from Boat/US, Progressive, whoever, is not likely to cover the losses of a singlehanded sailor in a place like Luperon, DR, for example...

I theoretically would have been covered if I had lost or had damage to my boat last fall in Hurricane Sandy... But, for much of the sailing I do, I simply have to accept that I'm basically on my own...

When I'm off cruising on my own, a sound vessel, good ground tackle, an abundance of caution, and paper charts often comprise the bulk of my insurance... (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-02-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook