SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013

KarlP is on a distinguished road
Re: Please tell me this is a nutty idea so I will stop looking at this boat.

In June of last year I took at look at a Greenwich 24 that was local to me. The boat was disaster and the trailer had deformed the hull. I decided I liked the hull, needed a little more headroom down below, and wanted a launching trailer. In July I started looking for a Cape Dory 25 and a Triad trailer. I priced a new Triad Trailer and came to about $6250 + tax. I found a used 2006 Triad equipped exactly as I had quoted with about 250 unloaded miles on it and no submersions. It was 450 miles away, $4,650 (25% off new for 250 unloaded miles), and included a free 1978 CD25.

The guy I bought it from had bought it accidentally on ebay in 2009. He threw in a lowball bid and went away for the weekend where he bought a CD30. He returned home to find he had been high bidder on a CD25 on the Triad trailer. Every spring for at least FOUR years the guy scrubbed it, did some minor cosmetic improvements (compounding hull, new bottom paint, cetol on the toe rail, etc) and placed a few for sale ads with a lower price each May. He seemed to take reasonably good care of the boat that was stored in a rundown boatyard hundreds of miles from his home. He wouldn't negotiate on the price at all, but I found him pretty honest and straight forward to deal with. I paid him in cash and found out he used it as the down payment on a CD36 that was listed on craigslist in the area the next day. He put his CD30 up for sale the next week. Since that was only 8 months ago and he is used to maintaining a 2nd CD he isn't using I figured I had a few years of sailing the CD25 before I decide to upgrade and buy that CD30. :-)

IME, Dr. Bob is an impulse buyer and SLOW seller. He seemed to take reasonable care of his stuff while biding his time. Hope this helps. :-)

Last edited by KarlP; 05-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook