SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Regarding the performance cats? I have been on many cats, I would not call any of them performance. They at first look like a great deal. But we were on a lagoon with good friends of ours and they hate the lack of storage. Just two of them and they are FT Cruising. Theirs is only a 36 or 38 though. ALso, better start checking out slip availability before going too far! You might find many of the marinas either don't have space for you, can't fit you, or will charge you a ridiculous price for putting your cat there. However, other than their cost and their slip availability, they sure do offer a LOT of positives! I personally would not rule one out, though if I was looking at paying that much, I might lean more to a Taswell or Hylas or HR that just had more waterline.

Brian
Brian, I do not consider Lagoons performace Cats. Under most circumstances they seem to be (same length) about as fast as our C400.

We sailed with a Lagoon 380 from Great Sale Cay to FT Pierce, about 24 hrs, in different conditions starting at 10 kts SSW and finishing around 20-25 kts SSE. They got there 0.5 NM before us. That could be because I reefed when winds started to be sustained at 20 kts.

I would look at at for example a Fusion 40. During that sail from GSC to Ft Pierce, a buddy on a Fusion 40 started several hrs behind us, overtook us as we entered the Gulf Stream and we never saw him again ... ;-).

I do think that a Lagoon 380 or 420 has plenty of volume for storage (they just don't like weight that much).

And just imagine the number of solar panels you can put on the huge bimini hard top. You can sell power back to the grid.

Another benefit with a cat, especially if you like motoring - they have two of them engines! talk about redundancy ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook