SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Brian, I do not consider Lagoons performace Cats. Under most circumstances they seem to be (same length) about as fast as our C400.

We sailed with a Lagoon 380 from Great Sale Cay to FT Pierce, about 24 hrs, in different conditions starting at 10 kts SSW and finishing around 20-25 kts SSE. They got there 0.5 NM before us. That could be because I reefed when winds started to be sustained at 20 kts.

I would look at at for example a Fusion 40. During that sail from GSC to Ft Pierce, a buddy on a Fusion 40 started several hrs behind us, overtook us as we entered the Gulf Stream and we never saw him again ... ;-).

I do think that a Lagoon 380 or 420 has plenty of volume for storage (they just don't like weight that much).

And just imagine the number of solar panels you can put on the huge bimini hard top. You can sell power back to the grid.

Another benefit with a cat, especially if you like motoring - they have two of them engines! talk about redundancy ;-)
I have not been on a FUsion. I would have to check that out.

The storage space on our friends really isn't great. It looks like it would be, especially given the forward port hull which is like a little garage, but the room for clothes or other things in the staterooms is not good and the cabinetry in the galley is minimal. This is actually more their opinion than mine. I also asked them what they make good, and they make 7.5. I can easily make 7.5.

How fast was your C400? DId you keep her at or around hull speed? Over? Under?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook