SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

Now hang on....

That's Speed Over Ground baby!!! C400 hull speed is 8.1. That ain't bad for a fat, overloaded cruising boat!!!

What does it take to get your RM over hull speed??

Haha!

Brian
Brian, I mean not over 8k as max speed, but the average speed over 8k on the South Atlantic crossing. That means that they have sailed many times at two figures speeds and that is only a 34ft boat.

Regarding the RM, the hull speed is pretty irrelevant, bigger than the one of the Catalina since the LWL is bigger. The RM is a much faster boat, lighter (about less 2000kg) and with the same sail area.

(Brian I think you have measured wrongly the LWL in your boat. I think you have measured it over the hull. The Lwl is a measured in a straight line and not around the hull.)

A Halberg Rasssy is expensive but the model the size of your boat (a bit bigger) does not cost 1 million, much less 2. An HR 415 costs about 450 000 euros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I looked at the site on the Capado. Did you see their V berth? That is exactly what I am talking about. And I can guarantee you that their boat looks completely different down below when the camera isn't out!

Like I have said, many times, you can do it on those kinds of boats, but there is a big tradeoff.

BTW, any pics of the down below while cruising? What about the decks? Where is their tender? Liferaft? How do they get water aboard when at anchor? Those pics looked a lot like a photo shoot... even with the Vberth stuffed with stuff.

I'm just sayin...
If you saw the movies you saw that they have a dinghy. I guess they store it in the central (floor) cockpit locker, but it is obvious that they store it somewhere.

Of course the V berth is full of sails. They are only two (many boats cruise with just two) and they like to go fast so they have plenty of sails.

A photo shoot? Water aboard when at anchor? I do not understand what you mean, but you have plenty of nice movies here, maybe they answer your questions:

Le Voyage de Capado: Videothèque

This was the boat they wanted, they are very experienced sailors and the boat was designed by a friend NA according to their requirements, hearing the NA suggestions. The boat was new and if they wanted for the price of the Fox 10.20 (a custom boat) they could have had an used Catalina 40 (or a similar European boat) with not much years and in good condition. That was not what they wanted, they wanted a fast, fun to sail boat that could be sailed on autopilot with a variable draft and easy maintenance.

Not meaning that this is a boat for all and that is not the point but certainly this was the boat they wanted to circumnavigate.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-02-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook