SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Ha! Denial!?? (smile)

Just so you know, my boat is NOT the perfect boat for me. Like I said, if money were not an object, Id be in a Gunboat or Swan or maybe a larger Taswell, Hylas, or (my wife's favorite... a European boat... ugh!) a Hallberg-Rassy. But how many of us are ready to drop 1-2 million on a boat?? Come on.

Now hang on....

That's Speed Over Ground baby!!! C400 hull speed is 8.1. That ain't bad for a fat, overloaded cruising boat!!!

What does it take to get your RM over hull speed??

Haha!

Brian
Yeah, you are doing that broad reaching with over 15kts apparent, so you've got over 20kts true? That is the kind of wind speed and angle it takes to get the heavyweights going, and they eat it up. The key is, what can they do with you don't have the perfect reaching conditions. Oh yeah, I forgot, then you "motor sail"

And you do of course understand that speed over ground includes any current that you might have going your way as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that you saw speeds like that, and it was obviously a big event for you or you wouldn't have taken a pic. ( I have seen boatspeeds close to that on my 30' IOR boat, but never bothered to take a pic.) The point is, a 40ft performance cruiser would see numbers like that on a regular basis, and not consider it noteworthy enough to take a pic.
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook