SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance rant - How would you respond
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road
Re: Insurance rant - How would you respond

A good surveyor will take into account the age and type of boat he is looking at. I used to survey every boat built for a major manufacture and I would right up at least a page of things. I would not write up any of those same items on a 30 yo boat. I had been building and repairing boats for 30 years when I started surveying. I was arrogant enough to think I could run circles around most surveyors. I have since learned there is a lot more to being a good surveyor than just looking at boats and pointing out defects. It is a skill that takes practice. Honestly most surveyors do not want to make the boat owners life hard we do care. But you better believe the insurance companies will not think twice about suing us if we screw up. When I look at a older boat I am looking more at safety issues. It sometimes happens a owner is blind to some real issues. It is all a careful balance and a good surveyor will do their best to make sure the owner is safe and the insurance company will not have a loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook