SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak Deck Replacement with Nonskid
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road
Re: Teak Deck Replacement with Nonskid

OK, more pictures and a status update.

My dock neighbor, Jay from JAYGAR is on the right helping scrape off the sticky tar stuff, while I'm on the left with my head down out of the frame removing bedding compound. So far I've used three different methods to remove the sticky stuff and the easiest one was using a paint or varnish scraper. The other less successful methods were using a Scotchbright green scrubbing pad with acetone and using a paint removal wheel.

This is a repost of a picture of the cockpit taken while standing on my dockbox showing how white and nice the cockpit looks after scraping the sticky teak bedding compound off and cleaning the area with acetone.

Here is my next problem. After removing the teak there's a half inch lip or coaming in the cockpit that I need to deal with. My first instinct is to cut it off with my Fein multimaster or a sawzall and then smooth it and fair with epoxy fairing compound, but before I make the fist cut I want to see if anyone out there in sailnet land has experience with this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook