SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance rant - How would you respond
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
Re: Insurance rant - How would you respond

Certainly part of my problem is that this is my first boat and I have not encountered all these nuances of the industry. Initially I was annoyed that I had to spend $400 for a survey, knowing full well that they would be jacking up my insurance rate anyway (because of Sandy I assumed). And they did not disappoint, my insurance bill went up 20% this year. But after the survey was done I was glad I had it done, because it helped me focus on what the important issues were that should be taken care of. Prior to that I was more likely to be concerned that I had the teak all stained nice. So I had full intention of taking care of the surveyor's recommendations anyway, but it caught me by suprise that they would require all the recommendations to be addressed, in the next 30 days. I guess I should be glad it is only every 5 years or at least that is the attitude the insurance company is trying to instill. It is fortunate that I can take care of most of the items myself, even if it means making up a warning label for a diesel heater that has no warning label.

thanks,
Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook