SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 36 – Help to find out if it is the right boat for me.
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013

RobertKWFL is on a distinguished road
Re: MacGregor 36 – Help to find out if it is the right boat for me.

A few more thoughts...

The Mac 36 is easy to sail, but keep in mind that Roger MacGregor designed it as his racing boat, and fast sailing is it's primary purpose. It sails very fast and requires an experienced, attentive skipper. Acceleration is fast, and there is little room for error when you're sailing at 15+ knots on a boat that weights 3000 lbs. Yes, you can and should reef down and be conservative, but even with small jib and reefed main you might find yourself sailing faster than is comfortable.

The boat requires significant rigging modifications for single-handed sailing, and at anything above moderate wind speeds I think sailing with a second crew member is prudent.

The Mac 36 is a small cruising catamaran already. It has four berths that MacGregor describes as snug doubles. I would say the forward berths are long but snug doubles, and the aft berths are best used as singles or for gear stowage. I've added small hatches to bring light and ventilation into the forward berths, and roll-down canvas sides with vinyl windows over the big companionway hatches to provide shelter there.

The installed head on my boat is concealed under a drop board next to the galley. It's a reasonably elegant solution given the space constraints. My plan for next year is to replace the head with a composting toilet to reduce the weight of a holding tank, but fitting one into the limited space is a precision challenge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook