SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Things have been moving slower than they had been. Work at the office has picked up a touch so my days have gotten longer. It is sailing season so I have begin racing wednesday nights, doing annual maintenance on other the evenings, and getting out overnight on the boat on the weekends.

Behind the scenes a lot has been happening. As explained in one of my last posts on the subject, the design has begun to evolve towards a more mainsteam design. The idea would be to create a small, conservative, distance cruiser which also has better performance than some of the earlier generation of small cruisers. I have been thinking of this loosely as "What would a more modern replacement for something like the venerable Pacific Seacraft 34 look like?"

In that vein, the freeboard and cabin height has been raised to give the boat full 6'-2" headroom. The bilges have been slightly hardened for better initial stability and better dampening. The boom height was raised to allow for a dodger and the cabin trunk extended to allow for a full sized forward hatch. Ports were added for better ventilation as well.

I began running some calculations to see what the 'numbers' looked like, and arithmetic mistakes (which Bob was kind enough to gently point out) not withstanding, they do not look too bad to my eye. The sail plan was then tweaked to move towards a reasonable SA/D with the 100% foretriangle.

I must do a couple small mea culpa's on these drawings. The first sketch of this design revision came out 'wall sided' meaning that the topsides were too flat. Bob had quickly pointed that out and we talked about how we might improve that. One idea was adding some tumble home.

As I thought about that idea, I decided to take 'a flier' and tried out an elliptical transom, a form which is visually attractive, but comes with a bunch of negatives in my mind. Those include requiring a two part mold, more handwork, and exposing the topsides to damage. I put this quick sketch version together and sent it to Bob for comment. I apologize that it is badly drafted and so there are a bunch of humps and bumps where I did not go back in and clean up the fairing.

So here are the drawings reflecting these changes. I am now working a version without the tumblehome but also without the ellipitical transom.

[IMG] photo ProgressPrintingPS-32R-45-1-13_Page_1_zps94e56a6e.jpg[/IMG]

photo ProgressPrintingPS-32R-45-1-13_Page_2_Page_2_zpse61b6d13.jpg

This is a little hard to see, but it shows the original Atkin's sail plan overlayed on the new sail plan.

I have really been enjoying this process. It has been quite a few years since I have drafted a boat of this size and so it has reminded me how much I enjoy this work. I also want to say how much I appreciate Bob taking the time to do this. And while I occasionally pounce on Bruce Farr and his crew when I see them around Annapolis, it is rare that a yacht design groupie like myself gets to have this kind of contact with someone of Bob's caliber and patience.

Onward and upward,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-03-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook