SailNet Community - View Single Post - quality, where have you gone?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007

deckhanddave is on a distinguished road
quality, where have you gone?

I very recently looked at an unnamed 36' cruiser in a show room and what bothered me the most of anything was the exposed fiber board! How is this even remotely possible on a boat??? If they drilled a hole through it, the hole was left raw, no sealent, insert, nothing. I was a bit taken back and thought maybe it was one of those engineered wood/plastic composite boards (trex and plasti-wood) but this was not that at all. What do you get when you combine fiber board with water? Simple, mushy pulp. As I went around to other boats, both motor and sail, I noticed that this was very common in boats up to about 100 grand! That is no small amount of money. Once again, HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE. This is not marine ply, this is compressed fiber board which is laminated on two sides and left raw where it is cut. When wet it has no strength (I once built a stand for a fishtand out of the stuff, one day the filter overflowed and soaked the top. Over the course of a week, it slowely sagged until I had to replace it) On one Sting Ray motor coach, all the back faces were left raw!!! They couldn't dress the cuts with a brusing of penetrating epoxy? Put in a plug? Melamine iron on edging? Boats get wet, heck, washing dishes gets them wet! Am I missing something here?

Last edited by deckhanddave; 01-10-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook