SailNet Community - View Single Post - E-Mail while crusing
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: E-Mail while crusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I spoke to a fellow about a month ago who had just completed a solo circumnavigation of the world and he told me he got his weather by downloading grin files via his satphone. It also meant he had voice communication from wherever he was back home just by dialling like a cellphone.
That would be grib files, not grin files. The GFS computer model that is used to generate gribs has an issue. For those inclined to mathematics, it assumes a continuous second derivative over the pressure surface. The impact is that gribs do not show fronts. Fronts are where weather is often unpleasant and significant wind shifts occur.

You can still call home over SSB radio. I do quite regularly on both the ham bands (bless the MMSN) and commercial bands (thank you Shipcom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
With the advent of Delorme inReach Satellite Communicator using the Iridium network texting, tracking and SOS could never be better nor easier and at a fraction of the cost. Hardware $250 and plans from $10 per month.
The Delorme inReach is not life safety equipment. Just ask Delorme. It is no substitute for an EPIRB.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook