SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a boat tomorrow
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking at a boat tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmeans View Post
Well, i just looked at the boat....From a distance, it looked terrific! As I got closer, the deck was real warn down...I've never seen a topside of a boat in such bad shape....I suppose that's nothing a coat of paint couldn't fix though...All the lines and rigging were in fair shape....Down below, the cabin needed a real good cleaning...The only issue is that the carpet on the sides of the hull had been ripped off in spots and was down to the fiberglass....That is an easy cosmetic problem to fix....

Ran the motor for about 15 minutes, no obvious problems with that....

The boat has been in the water all winter, so it's got a ton of growth on the bottom, so it needs to be hauled....

Anyway, the most concerning thing here is the deck being as warn down as it is i guess...

I didn't expect a boat in good condition, but this might be more of a project than I'm willing to take on right now...
You aren't likely to get a "big" boat dirt cheap that doesn't require some serious cosmetics. At your price point the fundamentals are what you need to be checking. The price you quoted is less than the annual moorage bill around here for a boat that size - it's as near as dammit, free.

Is the non-skid worn or the entire deck - shiny parts as well? A Kiwigrip job on the non-skid is no biggy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook