SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Yeah, you are doing that broad reaching with over 15kts apparent, so you've got over 20kts true? That is the kind of wind speed and angle it takes to get the heavyweights going, and they eat it up. The key is, what can they do with you don't have the perfect reaching conditions. Oh yeah, I forgot, then you "motor sail"

And you do of course understand that speed over ground includes any current that you might have going your way as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that you saw speeds like that, and it was obviously a big event for you or you wouldn't have taken a pic. ( I have seen boatspeeds close to that on my 30' IOR boat, but never bothered to take a pic.) The point is, a 40ft performance cruiser would see numbers like that on a regular basis, and not consider it noteworthy enough to take a pic.

I do not doubt that there are other boats that are faster, and especially more performance oriented boats. But remember, this is a FT liveaboard cruiser. Big difference from your 30 IOR boat that you race. Big difference from Marty's. And I think that any FT LA cruiser that can exceed hull speed on their boat ain't bad.

I will put a challenge out to you: Go be a fulltime liveaboard cruiser, cruise like I do, do it for a while, then come back to me and show me your pics. It would be interesting after doing that to see how much of your perceptions have changed, or if they have at all?? Who knows, maybe you would want an even faster boat and disagree with everything I am saying? Or maybe, after living aboard and cruising your boat for a while, you might find that this crazy dad on the internet wasn't so wrong after all.

You see, the difference is that I have done this for a long time. I am typing it from my boat right now moored in Boot Key Harbor. I will be doing it for as long as I can see. I am not giving theoreticals, or assumptions. I am giving you first hand, doing it now, have done it, will be doing it experience. THat does not make all of my experience right, as others can have exactly the same or more background as me and may have a different opinion. But the boats I see out here beside me are not First. They are not J122s or other boats that I consider racer-cruisers. I see a lot of Catalinas, Benes, Jeanneaus, a lot of IP's, a lot of Hunters, Morgan OIs, CSY, CS, Pearsons, Tayanas, Passports (including a new 49 that is freaking gorgeous), some Valiants, HCs, the occasionaly Taswell or Hylas, etc. You know what all of these boats have in common? The very characteristics I have been talking about. THere are also quite a few cats, including a Leopard that just pulled up beside us (have you looked at that boat Jorgenl) and Lagoons.

Why is that? What have you or others figured out that all of these other FT Cruisers seem to be missing? Or is it that they realized what I have been saying: that the theory of the boats you are talking about using as a FT cruiser might sound good, and who doesn't want to go faster?, but in reality just don't work or have too much of a compromise.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook