SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Brian,

8 knots is pretty slow for a 40' boat, I've done that numerous times with my 25'WL boat! Even hit 11.1 water speed. Not sure what my over the ground was that day, with a upwards of 2-3 knot current, 14 knots in a 28' on deck boat, equal to a C28mkII! You has 12 more feet! hmph!

that was before the "here hold my beer watch this moment!

Marty
Marty,

You better clean those glasses off!! That ain't 8 knots. 8.1 is hull speed. That is 9.1 Baby!!!

Still, you consider 8 knots slow for a 40' cruising boat? Are you serious? SHow me a fulltime cruising boat, 40 feet, going over that or that regularly does that?? THere are some - I know that. A sabre comes to mind and a Tartan. But most FT cruisers are SLUGS and could never get close to or exceed hull speed. Believe me, for a cruising boat given what most cruising boats are, that is fast.

Big difference between my boat Marty, loaded down with cruising stuff, and yours - which you use for racing. I have kayaks on the side, a 200 lb tender flopping around on davits, a 100 pound liferaft strapped to the top, half a dozen water and diesel cans on a fender board, a diesel generator, many weeks worth of groceries, over a thousand pounds of water, 45 gallons of diesel, books, text books for the kids, all the clothes we own, guitar, legos galore, four people, a fat bulldog, etc. How much of that do you carry on your boat... especially when you race? Apples and oranges, man. Load all that on your boat, and assuming you can still crawl onboard and water isn't coming over the gunnels, lets see how fast you go!!! What will happen is this C400, with the worlds best looking male moderator, will sneak up beside you to winward, and as I douse your air, I will turn on the engine and the generator. THe diesel cloud will come over you. Then I will crank up Bob the Builder or Sesame Street or Bob the Sponge Pants as loud as it will go. Fatty will stand at the toe rail and threaten to board you (pirate style) and eat any cute little dogs if they stick their heads up out of the companionway. You will peak through the black air, coughing, holding your eardrums, tears streaming down your cheeks, then scream out loud, "CURSE YOU CD!!"

Next day, the Jenneau will be for sale and you will be shopping for a Sabre... always on the lookout to see when you can get even. (BIG LAUGH). At that point you may be able to outrun me, but don't forget, I still got Fatty - ready and waiting!!

Take care,

Brian

PS Looks like I am heading up to Washington next month. Gonna go do some sailing with mom and dad and take care of a couple of things. I think they will be in the San Juans then, but as fast as their boat goes, may take the next month for them just to back it out of the slip! Who knows with them. I won't be there long, maybe a week, but would love to catch up?

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook