SailNet Community - View Single Post - Purchasing a Charter Catamaran from the Moorings
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Purchasing a Charter Catamaran from the Moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I am curious, what refitting do you think would need doing before you go sailing for a couple of years around the Caribbean?
As to buying a boat right out of charter.... It's not only sails and engine hours. It's usually 5 years of wear and tear on all boat systems as well as the upholstery and mattresses. I find that people take great care when it's their own boat, and not so much when it's not.

One more thing. A charter boat is not necessarily a cruising boat. No one is buying expensive cruising gear for a charter boat and this will have to be purchased during the refit. To see the difference go back to catamaransite.com and compare what's on board a cruising boat vs a charter boat. I break the boat inventory out separately for exactly this purpose. Buying a bargain $170K ex-charter boat with nothing on her might equate to a fully loaded $200K ++ cruising boat. All is not equal ... Just sayin..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 05-03-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook