SailNet Community - View Single Post - Truck delivery
Thread: Truck delivery
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Truck delivery

Actually, when I researched this for my 38 foot boat, there really was not a cheapest time, although summer can be a little more expensive than the rest of the year because fuel is a little more expensive and winter was riskier.

The best rates are if you can piggy-back with another delivery. Boat haulers are looking to haul boats on all legs of the trip. They actually carried another smaller boat on the rig for part of the trip down here (Maine to Annapolis) and then picked up another boat for the round trip back.

It cut roughly half of their quote for shipping. I had to give them flexibility on the shipping window so they could put the loads together. Beam and height are big determinants. Beam controls whether they need a chase vehicle and have to get wide load permits. At 12 feet and the route they followed, we did not need the chase car.

More height would have given a different route, and more beam or a different route would have added a lot for the chase car.

Lastly, the folks I worked with were great. They used a hydraulic lift saving the cost of loading and unloading, and they loaded and secured everything, saving a lot of costs at the shipping point. Had a yard do most of the commissioning but I did a lot of the recommissioning myself. It was a 2-3 weeks of hard work.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook