SailNet Community - View Single Post - E-Mail while crusing
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re: E-Mail while crusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
That would be grib files, not grin files. The GFS computer model that is used to generate gribs has an issue. For those inclined to mathematics, it assumes a continuous second derivative over the pressure surface. The impact is that gribs do not show fronts. Fronts are where weather is often unpleasant and significant wind shifts occur.

You can still call home over SSB radio. I do quite regularly on both the ham bands (bless the MMSN) and commercial bands (thank you Shipcom).

The Delorme inReach is not life safety equipment. Just ask Delorme. It is no substitute for an EPIRB.
Yes Grib not Grin

You may be able to call home on your SSB and or HAM but I have a great deal of difficulty understanding what is being said a lot of the time because my hearing is not that good. My wife has more of a problem and for our mothers it would be absolutely impossible.

I agree that the Delorme is no substitute for an EPIRB

SSB/HAM will be around for sometime to come but as satellite communication improves both in cost and available information it is just a matter of time before it takes over communication at sea just as GPS has taken over from sextants.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook