SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wire my Garage like a Boat?
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 05-04-2013
Re: Wire my Garage like a Boat?

If you are going to do a serious shop with all the tools, you need real power. I wired my own house in Wyoming, ya you can do that there. In the process of building the house my garage turned into a workshop and has never seen a car inside it. I thought I added sufficient power initially but have had to add multiple 240V runs to accommodate a number all the tools.

Unless it is a very troublesome process I suggest pulling a large sub panel (60 amps) to the garage to future-proof it. Besides insurance claims, and resale value anything else will limit the shop. Real table saws, compressors and big tools run better on 240V even better on 3 phase. One other factor is voltage drop. Voltage Drop Calculator
If you want a garage/shop for small projects you can use some solar panels, extension cords and generators. If you want a shop to do some real work, get a permit and wire it right, water is good to have also.

West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome