SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wire my Garage like a Boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Wire my Garage like a Boat?

If you are going to do a serious shop with all the tools, you need real power. I wired my own house in Wyoming, ya you can do that there. In the process of building the house my garage turned into a workshop and has never seen a car inside it. I thought I added sufficient power initially but have had to add multiple 240V runs to accommodate a number all the tools.

Unless it is a very troublesome process I suggest pulling a large sub panel (60 amps) to the garage to future-proof it. Besides insurance claims, and resale value anything else will limit the shop. Real table saws, compressors and big tools run better on 240V even better on 3 phase. One other factor is voltage drop. Voltage Drop Calculator
If you want a garage/shop for small projects you can use some solar panels, extension cords and generators. If you want a shop to do some real work, get a permit and wire it right, water is good to have also.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook