SailNet Community - View Single Post - 700% increase in Insurance!
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: 700% increase in Insurance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
That's plain silly from this and other posts recently it appears that anyone that has been hit by a hurricane in the last 10yrs is going to be discouraged to own a boat with rates like this.
I don't carry anything but liability on my boat now. After having prepared my boat for hurricanes, and been hit my so many I've lost count since 1985 and Elena, and seen that I know how to secure my boat (the only boat I ever lost was my ski-boat, that sank on its trailer in my driveway in Katrina because I misjudge how high the surge would be and improperly adjusted the lines for a 10-15 foot surge rather than the 35 foot one I got. My next door neigbor's 25 center console rode it out, and was then destroyed two months later when a tree cutter accidently put a tree on it)

Most boats that sink in hurricanes I have been in had zero preparation for it, or improper preparation (we had a dry storage rack here where even the boats on the highest level were destroyed when the storage building was washed away by the surge).

The boat that survived Katrina, and there were many, were the ones that were taken far up canals and bayous, and tied off to trees, with lots of room to rise with the surge.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook