SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bobstay condition
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bobstay condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
The rod is not the same material as the fittings. the fittings are made of 316L stainless steel and the rod is cold drawn Nitronic 50. Nitronic 50 has twice strength and much greater corrosion resistance then the 316 stainless steels. it is also engineered to be cold headed
Yes, I know that they are different types of stainless, but I meant that they are both stainless steel.
Anyway, my point is that for the cost of four or five feet of material, Dean could enjoy the peace of mind that would come knowing that the bobstay rod which is at least as old as the rather severely cracked turnbuckle that it has been attached to has been replaced. It seems to me to be a no-brainer.
At the very least, the rod should be removed, inspected and possibly re-coldheaded. And both terminals should be replaced.
Look again at that turnbuckle and tell me that you disagree with this.

A couple of useful links.

Rigging service Guidelines - Navtec - Page n° 10 - PDF Catalogues | Documentation | Boating Brochures

Nitronic 50 Stainless Steel | Specialty Steel Supply
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook