SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bobstay condition
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bobstay condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemandean View Post
Is there any way on this forum that I can set it up so I get an email when there has been a new post in a thread I am active in?

I keep having to just come here and look. Seriously, this is the 21st century! ;-)

By the way, all the rest of my standing rig was replaced two years ago; the turnbuckles are all bronze.

If someone can point me to a bronze version of that bowsprit turnbuckle, please do. I keep hearing references to it, but where's the beef? ;-)

Let's all go sailing! (Oops, can't; got no bobstay.)

Dean
Dean, I am certain that you can go to your CP page and set it up to recieve emails.

I have pointed out that you can get turnbuckles from a variety of sources. West Marine, SailNet store, Sailing Services, Defender, Rigging Only, etc, etc.
I don't understand what the problem is.
If you are bound and determined to reuse your old rod, then you need to get it to a rigging shop capable of coldheading and have a stud terminal attached in order to use a standard open body turnbuckle.
If you don't want to do that, and you still want to reuse the rod, then your only option is to buy the lower turnbuckle part that is cracked and then just screw it onto the old stuff and take your chances.

My recommendation is to simply have a new bobstay fabricated out of 5/16" 1x19 wire, (the largest diameter that uses a 1/2" clevis pin size).
Any rigging shop can do that for you. Or, you can purchase all the material and using mechanical fittings, do it yourself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook