SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bobstay condition
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bobstay condition

Thanks for posting this picture. I didn't see it before my last post.
What you have there, essentially, is a long navtec turnbuckle for a bobstay. You have no coldheaded ends. Just a double jaw toggle, and an eye/eye Navtec turnbuckle with a very long center stud. The stud may be made of a piece of rod, ie Nitronic 50, but is likely not. It probably is simply a long piece of some other stainless material threaded on the ends.
Any good machine shop could make up another and you can order the ends online and you will have a new bobstay.
It is obvious that the bobstay was not replaced two years ago when the rest of the rigging was. It should have been.
I urge you to get rid of it!
I reiterate;
Quote:
My recommendation is to simply have a new bobstay fabricated out of 5/16" 1x19 wire, (the largest diameter that uses a 1/2" clevis pin size).
Any rigging shop can do that for you. Or, you can purchase all the material and using mechanical fittings, do it yourself.
You would need;
One 1/2" open body turnbuckle with t-bolt and toggle. (I would orient the backstay so that the turnbuckle is at the top)

One 1/2" Sta-Loc stud for 5/16" wire.

One 1/2" Sta-Loc eye for 5/16" wire. (for the bottom)

And four or five feet of 5/16" 1x19 wire.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook