SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Monitor R (iPhone/iPad app)
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Boat Monitor R (iPhone/iPad app)

First night out at anchor this season!

I'm sufficiently impressed with this app. I used to use Anchor Watch, but this one is ahead by a neck. I set it aboard on my ipad. It has the ability to set the anchor at a bearing and distance from the device, so you do not need to be at the bow, with the device, when you drop the anchor. It also has the ability to send you a text message, if you drift outside the protected zone that you established. Very cool.

But this was the neatest part. We took the dinghy in to see the Kentucky Derby and left my ipad running. At the bar, I opened the same app on my iPhone and it asked if I wanted to monitor the session already in progress. Naturally, I did!

There, on my iPhone screen was a pic of the harbor, with my boat location and its relative spot within the protected zone I established. It also showed me the tracking line from the last couple of hours, so I could see if she was drifting, even if not outside the alarm range yet. She was just slightly swinging on a 10 deg arc, as expected.

Of course, you need 3G service and two devices, but this was way cool. If your spouse has one too, you just leave one aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook