SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reusing a prop
Thread: Reusing a prop
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Reusing a prop

I believe that one of the advantages of a 3 blade prop like the Indigo prop is that you will have much better control in reverse as well as possibly better propulsion in forward.
As to whether the Indigo prop is a good match for the Yanmar 2GMF I'm not entirely certain. I'd guess that it is in the ballpark but you might call the fellow at Indigo who sells that prop and ask him what he thinks.
I say that it is in the ballpark because while the Atomic 4 is rated to 30 HP the assumption is that most of the time this engine is delivering in the range of 15 - 25 HP.
It might help to figure out what size/pitch 2 blade prop is on your I-30 now. This is usually stamped into the bronze body of the prop.
Of course you could just swap the props and see how it performs and switch back to the 2 blade if needed.

We use a 2 blade prop on our Tartan 27' with our Atomic 4. The 2 blade prop can be oriented to "hide" behind the dead wood of the keel thus reducing drag - which you cannot do with a 3 blade prop.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook