SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine ST40 speed transducer nearly sunk me
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013
C&C 32

smp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smp
Raymarine ST40 speed transducer nearly sunk me

i followed the instruction to the letter. The transducer is leaking. I put in the plug, it leaks. The boat is in the water and I managed to get the leak slow enough that I can get some sleep tonight but tomorrow i have to pay for a haul out and I have to fix this.

Question is what how?
I doubt I can get the metal raymarine thru-hull for this transducer locally in time. There's only one marina around here with a lift that they'll let you sit in the slings I think 12 hours. So what are my options?

The ST40 is new. I bought it at the boat show this winter and installed it a week ago. Splashed the boat today and did not see any leaks because I failed to check that one! I checked all the rest of the thru-hulls but not that one. Launch is pretty stressful at the yard I was keeping my boat at this winter. The thru-hull is located in the bow and weirdly enough, that compartment is independent of the bilge! So the pump didn't let on like anything was wrong. Anyway....

What do I do now?
I'm going to call around to get the metal version of the thru-hull fitting (ST 40 ships with a plastic thru-hull) but like I said, I don't know if I'll be able to get it. I can't leave the boat in the water like this.

Maybe I did it wrong. Has anyone had this experience before? Both gaskets are present on the transducer and the blank and they both leak the exact same way! It's leaking up between the thru-hull fitting and the transducer of this I am sure. My guess is that the plastic thru-hull has a crack in it.
What a stressful day.

Last edited by smp; 05-05-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook