SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Surfari 53, am American modern motorsailor.

Yes, I know the name is pretty ridiculous and this kind of boats is not my cup of tea, but this is a very interesting and modern boat. If it is going to find a place on the heart of American sailors it is another story but it is what his designer, Ted Fontaine, an american NA more known to design classic looking boats believe. He believes not only on that but also says this would be the perfect cruiser for him.

He says about the boat:

"In looking back on the past several years I have seen an increase in the building of very large sailing yachts. While it is interesting to learn of the success of the very top end of the sail boat market, the midsized, higher quality market still seems to be stuck in the doldrums.

Perhaps the soft market can be attributed to the fact that nothing we have seen could be called transformational or even unique. The offerings on the midsized yacht market all look the same and seem to cater to the same demographic groups of buyers.

While there are some very refined world cruisers and some progressive racer cruisers I could find nothing that captured my attention for the way I envision most people are utilizing their existing boats.

There have been many performance cruisers and motor sailors designed and built over the years, many with a lot of desirable features, but I have never seen a good looking, good performing, family-oriented, sailing lifestyle platform such as what we have created with the SURFARI 53.

Having witnessed a complete generation of sailors abandoning sail for power, I set out to design and build a boat that would be an answer to those who share the same needs as I do - be it a day, a week or a month of coastal cruising. I wanted to create a yacht with an emphasis on outdoor living, a living platform for both social and recreational activities, as equally practical as comfortable. I envisioned a roomy living platform when anchored and a comfortable sun-protected space when sailing. And I want it to be ALL ONE LEVEL!

Most importantly I wanted the boat to be fast. Leisure time is short and because the best locations to spend the day are often the most remote, I wanted a vehicle that would move fast under sail or power.

After nearly six years of a soft market, the time has come for something truly unique. The SURFARI 53 may just be the next “picnic boat” of this generation.

- Ted Fontaine"

The boat has a modern hull with two rudders and a bulbed keel, should sail well even if I don't like the transom designed to sail with really minimal heeling angles and that will offer added drag to any considerable heel angle. The boat has a big tankage, and share the concept with other mixed concepts like the Moody 45 or the Feeling 55: without aft cabins, like the feeling purpose two engines and a interface beween cabin and cockpit similar to the ones in a motor boat.

http://www.friendshipyachtcompany.co...-mini-spec.pdf

I don't find any pictures so I suppose none has been built. They are purposed by a yacht company that offers very different classical sailing cruisers, also designed by the Fountaine groupe, the Friendship yacht company.

Take a look at one of their nicer designs, the 53, a very beautiful boat, even if I find it that for a classic boat it is a bit beamy. Anyway I would prefer it to the motor sailor that Ted Fontaine seems to favor even if that one offers a much bigger conviviality, a more modern interior and probably even sails faster, at least downwind. Well, probably it is just me and my taste for sleek sailboats, classic or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-06-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook