SailNet Community - View Single Post - Butane camp stove in cabin
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Butane camp stove in cabin

Barquito-
The butane burners are arguably reasonably safe. The cans are sealed metal that is only pierced by the stove when you insert them, so in theory they are quite leak resistant until used. (Although I've seen sealed R12 cans like that leak after 20+ years "through" the metal seal.)
After you've inserted the can in the stove, in theory you'd need to store the entire stove outside since the can has been pierced and you are relying on the seal. I don't underestimate the danger of gasses, but would mention I know a number of boats that use and store those same stoves, with gas in them, for years with no problem. I'd suggest a larger Tupperware container to store the whole thing, since that would tend to keep gas in and keep moisture out as well.
The invisible flame from alcohol seems to set more boats on fire (and boaters) than anything else in a galley. And takes forever to cook, too.

Take a look at the stove, and the seal, and for $25, hey, if you change your mind and take it home...worse things happen.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook