SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The weatherman is surely doing drugs. The forecast was backwards for the weekend...
I joked to Ulladh that because of sequestration, NOAA is playing back reruns from prior years. Their forecasts this weekend certainly seemed to be the opposite of what actually happened.

On Saturday we both ended up in heavy seas that pushed our boats to the limits. We sailed down to Miah Maull Shoal in the forecast 5-10 kt breeze, I had shaken out the prior day's reef because it seemed so benign, things really died for about an hour and then WHAM, it kicked up like crazy with big following seas. I was able to get the main completely down and sailed downwind on genoa alone. I'm glad I was clipped in as the boat heaved like crazy. For over 2 hours I had to have both hands on the wheel at all times. My mouth was totally dry and I couldn't even grab the water bottle. Out of the hundreds of waves, I misjudged one and broached with water over the gunwale (less than a gallon). I pulled the wheel with all my might to recover, and got out of it before the next wave could roll me. Judging by the traffic on Ch 16 and the belated small craft advisories (which were not present that morning), it seemed like the Chesapeake and the Delaware Bays had similar stinky conditions that afternoon.

After my steering chain jumped a link in a brief 20kt blow last year, I did some stuff to reinforce the steering system bracket down below. It held this time without a single jumped link, so I'm glad I reinforced it! Otherwise I am sure my steering sysem would have failed and I would have been in deep doo-doo with my little emergency tiller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-06-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook