SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low-Buck Dinghies- Lets See 'em!
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Low-Buck Dinghies- Lets See 'em!

Michael.. I embedded your pics using the IMG code instead of the URL link.

Chartruese,, maybe downsize those pics a bit??

Took me awhile to dig these old pics up.. some 26 or more years back a friend and I decided to build our own dinghy, so we started out with making a female mold.. the first hull 'stuck' so it became the plug for a new all glass mold, after which hulls 2 and 3 were built ending the production run. All three boats are still around.

These projects cost more in sweat equity than anything, along with a steep learning curve but our boys learned to row and sail in them. My buddy still has his, we sold ours some time back. Hull #1, about 10 lbs heavier, is still around too. This was my own design, an attempt to split the difference between an Opti and a Sabot...

The first wouldn't have cost more than 400 in materials and we all got our money's worth by the time we were done. (btw this little guy turns 31 in a few weeks )

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-06-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook