SailNet Community - View Single Post - changing helm style
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: changing helm style

In case all those naysayers haven't talked you out of it by now, here's Edson's specific instructions how to do it on your boat:

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/w...pdfs/S-752.pdf

I have a Catalina 250 with a wheel, and everything said here is true. It is tough to get around the wheel on such a small boat. As one who has chartered up to 38' boats, I can tell you the wheel is always tough to get around on ANY size boat.

There's always a religious debate over which gives you a "bigger cockpit." If you're sitting at the dock (or at anchor) having drinks, the tiller is a bigger cockpit because you can swing it up. (But a removable wheel would solve much of that problem.) But while you're sailing, I contend that the wheel gives you a bigger cockpit because pilot sits behind the wheel, and two people can sit to either side of the wheel, which is space that would need to be left clear with a tiller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook