SailNet Community - View Single Post - changing helm style
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: changing helm style

I never sit directly behind the wheel. I usually sit on the high side behind the wheel. I took out the bench part directly behind the wheel to give me more room when I stand behind the wheel or to move from one high side to the other when tacking.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
In case all those naysayers haven't talked you out of it by now, here's Edson's specific instructions how to do it on your boat:

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/w...pdfs/S-752.pdf

I have a Catalina 250 with a wheel, and everything said here is true. It is tough to get around the wheel on such a small boat. As one who has chartered up to 38' boats, I can tell you the wheel is always tough to get around on ANY size boat.

There's always a religious debate over which gives you a "bigger cockpit." If you're sitting at the dock (or at anchor) having drinks, the tiller is a bigger cockpit because you can swing it up. (But a removable wheel would solve much of that problem.) But while you're sailing, I contend that the wheel gives you a bigger cockpit because pilot sits behind the wheel, and two people can sit to either side of the wheel, which is space that would need to be left clear with a tiller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook