SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hot stuffing box...
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Hot stuffing box...

My boat is finally out of the yard!!!

Happy. Had to get that off my chest.

I had a bunch of alignment work done that ended up requiring a new prop shaft. I had also asked to have a dripless shaft seal installed because my stuffing box was supposedly shot. It turns out the old bronze stuffing box is still viable and putting in the dripless wasn't an option.

Now the weird part. My stuffing box takes TWELVE strands of 1/4" packing. That's a lot of packing. The yard I used said they've had problems with the graphite and the PTFE packing and prefer good ol' flax, so that's what they put in there.

I took it out for a short spin and at 2000RMP (1000@ the shaft) the box was dripping 2-3 drips per second but the water dripping out was very hot. The stuffing box was also very very warm/hot to the touch. The shaft itself, just forward of the box wasn't very warm.

So how hot is too hot? I imagine that having 12 strands of the stuff will mean I've got some serious friction so I might need more than just a few drips to keep it cool....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook