Re: How to Proceed...
I am in a bit of a quandry it seems. I, to be honest, am not comfortable with my present skills going to Rico via route 65 or 66 as I would be alone at sea for almost or more than a week during hurricane season-- that seems pretty risky.
The thorny path sounds like a fun adventure, but again I have hurricanes to think about. I am not lieing when I say I am still leaning on this approach--simply bc of finances. I worry about boating around losing funds too long and becoming destitute before I have the oppurtunity to make Rico, find anchorage, and I assume have a week or two for finding a job.
Option three has me hanging out in the Abacos and running to the Keys or perhaps Man-o-War Cay harbor in case something develops-- however daily I would be losing money.
Four has me staying in the Keys so I can hold a job- But I have 0 charts for the keys, no prior knowledge, have never visited or done any research and I am a week from departure.
Eight weeks really is not enough time to make the sail? I envision myself crawling 1-2 knots all the way down the islands by how you are describing i the passage. You are right in that I DO NOT want to lose my house in the first few months.
The cyclone chart shows very little activity in my proposed area until August, though with the crazy weather we have had this year I think the law of averages may not apply this season...
Could someone please explain why the Keys are such a better hold up?
Do you think $2000 is enough to make the move/trip? Im budgeting $25 daily.