SailNet Community - View Single Post - Am I out of line on my boat offer?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Am I out of line on my boat offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate View Post
You are right in making an offer of what ever you think the boat is worth to you. One thing I don't understand is when buyers say I'm paying cash, can I get it lowered? Unless the seller is carrying a note for the buyer isn't it all cash to him?
Not necessarily. If there is a bank loan involved, the loan could be rejected/never go through. Now the seller has taken the boat off the market, and possibly turned down other offers (or at least turned away other prospective buyers), and suddenly he is stuck having to re-list and explain why it didn't sell. I'm leery of any boats that come back on the market; there are SO many reasons why a buyer might reject, and most of the time the buyer is rejecting because there's something wrong with the boat. As Chuck said, it's a buyer's market, so I've always moved on, and I suspect a lot of other prospective buyers would do the same. So, now the seller is stuck with a boat that can't sell for as much as he wanted, and its through no fault of his own, and not due to any problems with the boat. Someone walking up and saying "I'll pay cash" means they have the money in hand (or in their bank account), and those kinds of issues can be avoided. As the seller, you have to decide whether or not the prospect of a simple, smooth transaction is worth a cut in price.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook