SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Paulo- You speak to very short term effects. For instance, in men the major release of growth hormone occurs in the first period of stage 3 ( slow wave sleep). The web address you cited concerning the round Britain race noted that individual intentionally did not allow himself to enter slow wave sleep due to concern he would be hard to wake. 15 minute naps due not allow stage R sleep to occur until the deprivation from this stage causes a REM rebound like effect. The hallucinations you refer to are thought to be microsleeps with REM intrusion.In simplistic terms I think it not unlikely this person for some days is likely to have much stage 2 sleep and less stage 3 ( restores the body) and REM ( restores the mind). Yes, I'm aware of techniques to mitigate the cognitive effects of fragmented sleep but once again can not endorse doing the activity you suggest. Please respect that decision.
Off course I respect your not endorsement as I respect the ones that recommend it to as the best technique to reduce fatigue for a limited period of intensive sailing. They are also physicians and have been studding sleep management for solo sailors for decades with amazingly good results.

As I said on a temporary basis. Anyway as I said, I want to know more...but not now. I will come back to it.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook